The sample should be representative of the entire material sampled. This may require multiple samples if the consistency of the manure varies significantly within the storage unit. Often the best and most convenient time to collect a manure sample is when the manure is being removed from the storage unit and spread.
Collect small amounts of manure in a clean bucket from many places within the manure storage unit or sample periodically as the storage unit is emptied. This large composite sample should then be thoroughly mixed and a small subsample sent to the lab for analysis.
- Liquid storage units must be agitated before sampling.
- Solid manure samples should include both manure and bedding.
- Fill the sample bottle leaving approximately ½ inch of air space, label the bottle, and fill out the sample information form out completely.
- Be sure the sample bottle is securely closed and pack well, making sure the sample information sheet is included. .
- Forward to the lab as quickly as possible. Avoid shipping over the weekend, preferably shipping as early in the week as possible. Below are several references that provide significantly more detail concerning proper sampling techniques.
To submit please use this Sample Submittal Form